New endeavors are never easy. As one of my best friends' mom would say, it takes guts and hootspa. I think it takes determination. My definition? A skill to endure failure when it comes and being stubborn enough to try again and again until you succeed. We are all afraid of failure at one time or another. I wonder why that is. Are we afraid of what others will think of us? Do we think it will identify who we are and what we stand for? Does it mean we will crumble to the ground and shatter? Maybe, but realistically, we must use common sense. There is the financial aspects and our daily responsibilities to think about. It's not easy juggling work and family, paying the bills and dodging the daily challenges of everyday life. These are all very legitimate reasons to put off a new endeavor.
I have put together a list to encourage you as you work hard to achieve your dream.
1. Don't worry what others think! Don't worry what the news says about the economy. Don't worry about if it makes sense. Follow your heart.
2. Follow your heart but think through it. Make sure you are making good decisions. Don't jump into anything until you are sure it is the right time.
3. You will have highs and lows; you will have good days and bad; you will be encouraged and discouraged. These are all normal occurrences.
4. Everything takes time. Take baby steps. Be patient.
5. Take chances, but be careful of foolishness.
6. Don't be afraid of failure, but be prepared to fail. Every great person--inventors, scholars and even the pauper, has failed before making a great accomplishment.
7. Negative thoughts will always be one minute away from the next; take them in, process them and dismiss the nonsense. Fear of failure, fear of the unknown, fear of what others may think, fear of fear. These are all legitimate, but don't let them keep you from persevering.
8. We all need to take a break at times; don't be afraid to get away from what you are persuing in order to get a fresh start. Sometimes clearing your head helps you to see things differently.
9. Seek council when needed. It is important to be smart about your decision-making. Study, read, collaborate, find resources that will help you to succeed. Don't be foolish.
10. Learn new skills; be willing to educate yourself.
Bonus. Put one foot in front of the other...before you know it, you will living your dream.
So take heart! Use your skill of determination and don't be afraid of failure. Learn from your mistakes and don't let them control your life. Doing something new is never easy, and it may bring you to a place you never expected. Good or bad, this is just another step to building your character and who you will become. Mostly, remember that it's ok to take chances, but be smart about your choices. Look to a new year, a new decade and an evolution of change as we grow accustom to the 21st Century. 2010 is going to be a prosperous year.
Two cubicle neighbors with pizzazz and their own personal, but highly similar, set of of innate complexities find refuge in this alley of creative musings. So pull up a chair, join in, as we--artist and writer--share our spin on the world, art, literary pursuits and the seemingly miniscule, daily occurrences that become larger than life.
WHAT'S NEW: Follow Friday!
Feature Friday--Each Friday! Inkwell Alley is a growing neighborhood and every Friday, one of our followers will be featured with a short bio about their work. We love to make our avid readers feel at home, so relax and enjoy reading about who's springin' up on Inkwell Alley. Don't miss as we continue to update our blog with many new features. Monica and Sbass hope you enjoy your walk down Inkwell Alley! >>Last Week: karilynnlove >>Previous Weeks: June, also known as Isewcute