Tuesday, June 16, 2009

No One Is Going To Die On The Operating Table!

Don't be afraid! They used to tell us in college - 'Don't be afraid to take chances, no-one is going to die on the operating table. '

So in my free time... 'what free time?', I love to dabble with acrylics, oils, cut paper, collage, mixed media as well as adding found objects, textiles and experimenting with layout and typography. I have most fun adding buttons!!!
Yes, you heard it...BUTTONS! I love buttons! They come in so many sizes, shapes and colors. I'll show you a few pieces I have completed in my future bloggings, but for now, let me tell you a lil' bit about my experimentation at left.

It is 'Experimentation' Impressionism, acrylic on board. I remember.... My mind was filled with all the rules of art, trying to find the right one that would work... RULES, RULES, RULES. Where do I start??? Do I dare touch the canvas? Do I dare make the first stroke? Then I thought - 'wait! I can do this!'
Just one dab...one little dab. ----UMMM, should I use red? I like red...but red is so aggressive.
'What if it takes over?' -----OK, OK, how bout' yellow? Yes, yellow. That seems to work just fine. Delicate, swift brush strokes and unusual visual angles dancing in the light. Yellow is doing the trick.
But what about contrast? OH DEAR! A complementary color--hmmm, that could work. Well, here goes nothing - bring on the violets.
Now if I'm really careful, I can dab just enough to give a softened, impressionistic feel to the painting. Trickery, I tell ya, trickery!
The real question is how to do that when we have vibrant color shouting off the page... oh, I know, I'll mix and dab and experiment with light
--and suddenly, it happened, a softened effect. This could work! Quick, give me some green!
A challenge, but nonetheless fun!
So give it a try--you can do it! After all, I haven't lost my "patience" yet. ;)









1 comment:

About Us

Two cubicle neighbors with pizzazz and their own personal, but highly similar, set of of innate complexities find refuge in this alley of creative musings. So pull up a chair, join in, as we--artist and writer--share our spin on the world, art, literary pursuits and the seemingly miniscule, daily occurrences that become larger than life.

WHAT'S NEW: Follow Friday!

Feature Friday--Each Friday! Inkwell Alley is a growing neighborhood and every Friday, one of our followers will be featured with a short bio about their work. We love to make our avid readers feel at home, so relax and enjoy reading about who's springin' up on Inkwell Alley. Don't miss as we continue to update our blog with many new features. Monica and Sbass hope you enjoy your walk down Inkwell Alley! >>Last Week: karilynnlove >>Previous Weeks: June, also known as Isewcute

Friends of INKWELL ALLEY

Friends of INKWELL ALLEY
Vintage Petals